Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Decadent Chocolate Cake

I recently made this cake for a dinner party - thought I'd share. I've had the recipe for years, I think it came from Glamour magazine but can't find it on their site to link it for you so I'll type it out here instead. It's a single layer cake, very rich and dense - I served it with berries and fresh whipped cream to help cut the thick chocolate a bit and everyone seemed to like it. Oh, I don't usually frost it but when I removed it from the pan it cracked almost in half and looked terrible - frosting covers a lot of mistakes! I just used plain old homemade chocolate buttercream.
I thought it needed sprinkles (of course!), no one seemed
to notice that I used leftover from Valentines Day!


  • 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 4 bars (3.5 ounce each for a total of 14oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour


-Preheat oven  350' and butter a 9" springform pan.
-Put butter and chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat, stir until melted.
-In a separate bowl beat eggs and yolks until frothy. At medium speed beat in sugar until creamy, then beat in flour.
-Fold egg mixture into melted chocolate with a spatula until well blended. Spread in prepared pan.
-Bake until set 40-50 minutes. Let cool.

serves 12
387 calories, 31g fat per serving

roughly chop the chocolate bars 
I don't have a double boiler, but a heavy glass
measuring bowl set over a saucepan of water
works just fine
fold egg mixture into melted chocolate
gently blend together then pour into pan



No comments:

Post a Comment