Sunday, April 10, 2016

Oven Steamed Salmon

I took a cooking class from Linda Steidel (love her, I've taken so many of her classes over the years and have learned a lot - she has cookbooks too, check her out!) at Williams Sonoma and learned a new technique that I've never heard of - oven steaming salmon. I don't love salmon generally - although I do have a couple recipes that I enjoy and will share in the future; but this technique is so cool I wanted to share it with you.  It's moist, flavorful, and super easy - you should totally try this method the next time you make salmon!


Position one oven rack in the lower third of your oven, and a second rack in the upper third. Preheat the oven to 225' (yes, super low temperature).
Bring an oven proof skillet of water to a boil and place it on the lower rack. Moving the skillet from the stovetop to the oven scares me a little - I'm kinda clumsy - so boiling the water in a roasting pan or a pan that is easier for me to move is probably a good idea. She used a large skillet and had it probably half full of water.
Arrange salmon on a lightly oiled non-stick baking pan (I would line it with foil to help with clean up), season with salt and pepper (or whatever seasonings you normally like on salmon), and place it on the upper rack. Bake for 10 minutes or so until done to your liking (I prefer baking this longer - I like salmon well done but that isn't the "normal" way to eat it!).

That's it! She served it over mashed potatoes, drizzled with flavored olive oil, with a side of asparagus and garnished with a lemon slice. What a pretty meal.

1 comment: