Saturday, April 9, 2016

Strawberry Refrigerator Jam and Lazy Ice Cream Cake

I needed a quick dessert for Sunday Supper and decided I'd try this recipe after reading that it works for spreading on toast or as ice cream topping. I doubled it because it says it yields 1.5 cups and I didn't think that would be enough for 8 people - of course it ended up making way more than I needed...oh well, extra strawberry sauce is not going to go to waste!

This turned out very runny which made it perfect to serve over ice cream - I'm not sure where they came up with naming this "jam" but it worked for me. If you actually want to make refrigerator jam to spread on toast this is not the recipe I would recommend you follow. However, if you want delicious ice cream topping this is a winner.

I made a lazy version of ice cream cake to serve the topping over. I have made much "fancier" ice cream cakes and I'm feeling a little guilty that this one is so easy - my original dessert idea was just vanilla ice cream in a bowl with strawberry sauce but I thought I'd put in just a little more effort and make it more interesting. This isn't much of a "recipe" but it turned out really good so I'll share with you what I did:

Line a loaf pan with non stick foil. Preheat oven to 350'.
Put 1 cup of chocolate teddy grahams in the food processor with a pinch of salt. Grind to fine crumbs. Mix in a couple tablespoons of melted unsalted butter.

Press into the bottom of the loaf pan, bake for 10 minutes.
After the crust cools, spread 1/2 of a half gallon (I guess I could have said 1/4 gallon haha) of chocolate ice cream thats been softened (I just leave it on the counter for about 1/2 hour) on top of the crust and smooth the top. Put the loaf pan in the freezer until the ice cream hardens. Then do the same with vanilla ice cream (spread 1/4 gallon of softened vanilla ice cream over the chocolate ice cream and freeze until hard).
When you are ready to serve, remove the "cake" from the pan by pulling up the foil. Remove the foil and then slice the ice cream into whatever size portions you want - I started with small slices and got lots of complaints so had to make them bigger! This served 8 of us with no leftovers.
Spoon strawberry sauce over the ice cream.



Obviously you can use whatever flavors of ice cream you want, I kept it simple this time.






No comments:

Post a Comment