Friday, March 20, 2020

Pork Chops with Sauerkraut

I used to hate sauerkraut. Like really, really hate it. But then I found this recipe that changed my thinking - it's from my good ol' Gourmet on the Run cookbook that I've been using since the 80's. For a long time this is the only way I'd eat sauerkraut, I've since come to like it other ways but this is still my favorite - the addition of a little sugar and caraway really makes a difference.

  • 1 T. vegetable oil
  • 6 pork loin chops, about 1/2 inch thick
  • 1/2 t. caraway seeds
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup dry vermouth
  • 2 lbs. sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Fry pork chops quickly until browned. Drain off fat. Add caraway seeds, bay leaf, brown sugar and vermouth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 7 to 10 minutes. Add sauerkraut and heat through. Makes 6 servings.

Note: I made this the other day a little different then the usual recipe (and it's the picture shown, usually the pork and sauerkraut is served all together on the plate).  Dave grilled the pork chops and I did the sauce and sauerkraut on the stovetop more as a side dish. It's still really good but I think I like the flavor of the pork cooking right in the sauce a little better - try it both ways and tell me which you prefer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment