Thursday, March 5, 2020

TBT: update to Goldenrod

Today's 'throw back Thursday' is an update to last week's post about my Grandma's old cookbook and Dave's mom making 'goldenrod' (click here to see that post); my mom sent me a couple more versions of  SOS (or chipped beef on toast, or goldenrod, or whatever you call it at your house!)...here's what mom has to add:

Grandmas version was simply milk thickened with flour slurry and adding jarred chipped beef cut up. I always add butter at the end cause I like butter in everything. Grandma also made a version with substituting the chipped beef with a can of tuna, was really pretty good. She used it over toast. 
I still have the SOS version when I feel like comfort food. Some people have it with hamburger.



I found this image online at buddig.com - the meat we use for chipped beef on toast looks like this, comes in a small package in the lunchmeat section. I see online that other people use dried beef in a jar but I have no idea what that is like so can't comment. Click here for a bunch of other recipes using this packaged meat (the pinwheel appetizers are easy and yummy, jazz them up by adding a slice of pickle or green onion before rolling). 

No comments:

Post a Comment