Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Chocolate Sheet Cake

A couple months ago I went for our long 7 mile at 7 a.m. hike with the gang and overheard Karen say she made chocolate sheet cake so I (naturally) asked for her recipe. I used to make sheet cake all the time as a kid, for some reason tho I haven't made one in years - did sheet cake fall out of fashion or did I just stop making it? Unsure. After Karen gave me her recipe (that she got from her friend Marge Johnson),  I found my old recipe card and see the recipes are identical other than mine calls for 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening, her recipe is 2 sticks of butter.


Al's birthday was Sunday and even tho we are all doing the distancing thing I figured I could leave a surprise on their porch and ding-dong-ditch! I planned to make cupcakes but don't have all the ingredients on hand, and if I can help it I'm avoiding going to the grocery store - so I started looking for recipes using supplies I already have and chocolate sheet cake fits the bill. Sheet cake isn't my normal go-to birthday cake, but with enough sprinkles any cake becomes a happy birthday cake!


Even tho I didn't eat any of his cake, I remember how much I love that melty frosting - it's poured on top of the hot cake, then sets up to have a crunchy coating on top. Delicious.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening* (see note)
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee or water (I usually use water)
  • 4 T. cocoa
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and set aside.


In a saucepan, combine butter, shortening, coffee or water, and cocoa. Stir and 
heat to boiling.

Combine the boiling mixture with the dry ingredients, then add buttermilk, eggs, 
and vanilla. Mix well.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 17 x 11" jelly roll pan/rimmed baking
sheet. Bake at 400' for 13-15 minutes until done. 

While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. In a saucepan combine butter, 
cocoa and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring. Remove from heat, mix in the powdered 
sugar and vanilla until frosting is smooth. Pour warm frosting over cake as soon as
you take it out of the oven. Cool. Cut into bars.

*note: you can use 2 sticks of butter instead of the shortening if you prefer. Also, if
you don't have buttermilk, mix 1 t. vinegar into 1/2 cup milk and let it sit for a few
minutes.

PS: This is the first day of my "April Plan" to be living life to the fullest while also being
careful, responsible, and staying healthy - just because we are isolating ourselves 
doesn't mean we can't find little ways to still connect with our people! In addition to 
leaving a big part of the cake for Al, I also wrapped up a couple other smaller squares 
and ding-dong-dashed them to another friend and a neighbor just to brighten their day.

3.31.19: 🔥
3.31.18: chocolate covered strawberry 'carrots'
3.31.17: Brooke made a candle holder
3.31.16: creative photography class

No comments:

Post a Comment