Thursday, March 31, 2016

Creative Photography Create a Series

We had our last class in this series of becoming a more creative photographer - I'm gonna miss the class! It was great and really pushed me to think and see things differently, and to pay more attention to what's around me in every day life.


Our final assignment was to take a series of photographs that work together - either based on photos we have taken in the past few weeks of class or on a whole new idea that we want to explore. So if there was something we liked from before, or maybe an inspiration from what other people have done in class, or just an idea of something that intrigues or interests you - think of a project and build a series that if it were hanging in a gallery would all make sense and go together. She showed us many examples of professional photographers doing "series", some were funny (smashed cakes, barbies posing on the beach) or sad (homeless children), some were self portraits, street scenes...you get the picture. Whatever inspires us!



I thought of my idea immediately based on a photo I had done for the category "reminder of your past" - in that one I took a picture of a pool behind a fence because it reminded me of living in a very small neighborhood growing up and only one house having a pool...with a fence around it...that all the neighborhood kids lined up against peering in on the poor homeowners that owned the pool...yeah, I'm still a little embarrassed about doing that haha. Anyway, I decided to combine stories from my childhood with single images to represent that story, and figured out how to print words on my pictures -


I'm very happy how they turned out and think I'm going to keep working on this project even though the class is over, maybe I'll make a little book of them :).


By the way, I googled how to print text on pictures and found a bunch of sites that do that. I used
befunky.com.

You don't have to be going to a class to think about a project that interests you - maybe a hobby or love of something - and take a few photos that tell a story or represent your idea. It was so fun to work on this assignment this week! Try it!

check out creativephotoacademy.com if you want to see more on classes at Pauls Photo in Torrance, CA.


No comments:

Post a Comment