Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Easter Side Dishes

I love Easter dinner - instead of sharing main dish ham recipes I thought I'd give you a couple ideas for side dishes to serve with it. These are my usual go-to sides, they are really nice with ham but would probably work with other meats as well.



PINEAPPLE STUFFING - my friend Mary introduced me to this and OMG it's so good, very rich and very addictive. It's quite sweet and is perfect with ham.

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
5 slices white bread, cubed

Preheat oven to 350'. Grease a 9 inch baking pan with butter. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the pineapple and bread cubes. Bake for one hour. Let sit a few minutes to firm up before serving. Makes 5 servings.

NOTE: I usually double this and put it in a 13x9 baking dish.


CREAMED NEW POTATOES AND PEAS - recipe from Epicurious

2 pounds small red skin potatoes
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup flour
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper
16 ounce frozen peas, thawed

Boil potatoes until just tender, approx 20 minutes. Cut them in half and set aside.

Melt butter, whisk in flour for 3 mintues. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer, stir often until very thick approx. 10 minutes. Mix in cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Add the potatoes (note: you can make this 1 day ahead up to this point, cover and refrigerate. Bring to a simmer before continuing with recipe). Mix peas into sauce, cook on medium-low until heated thru, 8 minutes. Makes 8 servings.


ROASTED CARROTS click here for complete recipe. I double this recipe, everyone loves them and they are great leftovers, so if you end up with too many that's a good thing.

Halve 12 carrots lengthwise; toss with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and thyme and place on baking sheet. bake at 400'  for 35 - 45 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.













  






2 comments:

  1. My mother loves creamed potatoes and pea's!!! I am not a pea lover, but these sound good. I will have to try. Menu sounded divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe, with the creamy potatoes the peas aren't a strong flavor! Hope you'll try it :)

    ReplyDelete