Thursday, March 10, 2016

Creative Photo Class: Portraits

Week 3 in our creative photo class was centered on taking portraits, which was a little harder than I thought it was going to be.We were supposed to work on more than just snapping someone's picture - we thought about how we wanted them to pose, what feeling or emotion we wanted to capture, and not necessarily take what is considered to be a "correct" formal portrait - be creative of course. 


There were, as usual, a few categories that we tried to fill, ranging from the subject "looking at the viewer" to one shot "not physically including your subject" - for that one we should get to know our subject enough to know what they like or what's important to them and photograph that in some way. We could either approach random people and ask if we could take their picture, or use someone we know - but we needed to get 20 photographs that had different ideas and emotional tones.


For my project I did ask a few random people and got some good shots, but then for the bulk of the photos I used my friend Athena (who is a natural performer, a dance teacher, and not at all shy haha) as my "muse". We went to a local little zen garden and the first thing she said was "ok, how do you want me to pose"... I had no idea! It's hard to pose someone - I told her do whatever she wanted haha and fortunately got some good shots. For the one that she wasn't physically in the shot I took a cool picture of her new glasses laying on the floor in the dance studio.


Think about taking portraits of people, actually having them pose and not just in a "smile and say cheese" kind of way. And if you see someone interesting (like my pic of the meat guy in a mask at the grocery store) or doing something cool maybe ask if you can take their picture - it was kind of fun asking strangers if I could take theirs and no one said no. They did tell Dave no a few times, but they are strangers so who cares if they refuse - all you can do is ask :)

meat guy at the grocery store - love this picture!


As long as the subject is looking at you it's not considered a candid snapshot - so this picture of Dave and Ed counts as a portrait.


check out creativephotoacademy.com for class info if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment