Sunday, March 6, 2016

Crock Pot White Chicken Chili

Made this for Sunday Supper and it was a hit (and it was SO easy, I do enjoy that)! I've never made white chicken chili before - my neighbor Midge makes a good one but I can't find her recipe so I googled away until I found one that looked good, had directions for making in the crock pot, and had good reviews.


I followed the recipe other than doubling most of the ingredients - which ended up making way more than we needed of course (I didn't want to chance it though!).


Using our friend Steve's technique for freezing soup, I put the extra in a large gallon ziplock bag, squeezed out the air, labeled it, then put it in the freezer totally flat. After it's frozen you can stack the bags or stand them up, really a great space-saving tip.


I thought I would have to remove the whole chicken breasts from the chili before serving to shred it all, but it just fell apart almost by itself when I gently took a fork and broke it apart. 

  • 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans Great Northern or Navy beans, rinsed and drained 
  • 1 (15 oz.) can hominy or white corn, drained
  • 1 (1 1/4 oz.) envelope taco seasoning
  • 1 (4 1/2 oz.) can chopped green chilies
  • 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
Optional toppings:
  • 1/2 cup sour craem
  • chopped green onion
  • shredded monterey jack cheese
    • Place chicken in a 4 quart slow cooker.
    • Top with beans and corn.
    • In a medium bowl, combine taco seasoning, chiles, condensed soup, and chicken broth. Pour over top of ingredients in the crock pot.
    • Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
    • Before serving, stir gently to break up chicken, then stir in the sour cream.
    • Serve topped with green onions and jack cheese, if desired.
    Recipe found here. I found white beans with chili seasoning already added so I used 4 cans of them, 2 cans of corn, 1 envelope of taco seasoning, 1 can of green chilies, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, almost 3 pounds of chicken, and 28 ounces of broth. Stirred in 1 cup of sour cream before serving.





    2 comments:

    1. This bean stew is delightful and my children even love it! Do you think there would be room in a standard measured stewing pot to twofold the formula

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I doubled the recipe in my large crock pot (I think it's 6 quart) and it fit no problem. I'm glad your family loves it!

        Delete