Wednesday, April 1, 2020

How to: Sign the ASL alphabet

No foolin' - it's April 1st already! If you read my post a couple days ago you know that I'm about to knock out a months worth of boredom busting (also known as finding reasons to put clothes on in the morning and stop bingewatching netflicks!). I'm going to get up in the morning with a plan, learn/do/make/find new things and not waste this month while distancing and being in the house as much as possible. Some might wonder if what I'm really trying to do is stay busy enough that Dave doesn't drive me bonkers but nope, this is a personal mission of mine to be living life and not just killing time during this coronavirus nightmare. So...on that note, let's get started with staying busy!
  • first thing this morning we walked Sarge, then I did 30 minutes alternating between leg lifts, arm work, and cardio intervals. I did one song of legs, one song of arms, one song of grapevines and jumping around. Have to get the exercise out of the way first thing or I'll get distracted and not make time for it later!
  • drove to my sis's and walked 2 miles on her lunch hour. Stayed outside the whole time and kept our distance. Got to see her and gab for 30 minutes, and also get more fresh air and exercise. It was a win-win!
  • my 'new thing' is I learned how to record myself on my computer, I've never done that before and usually just use my phone propped up on something - for today's project having it recorded on the computer was so much easier! I did it by opening Quicktime, turning on the mic in system preferences/security and privacy/privacy/turn on microphone. Then click 'file' in the upper lefthand corner, click 'new movie recording'.

  • group facetimed cocktails with friends - so much fun and so good to see their faces! Can't be lonely when you're having a virtual cocktail party on a random weeknight :) 
Today's camp project is how to sign the alphabet - I made a video breaking it down, and also found this graph for you to reference. I learned to sign a bit when I was in school, did you know I went to a Christian school for 9 years? There was a deaf boy in our school, I do not remember if we had a sign class or if we just all learned to do it so we could communicate with him - and although I've forgotten a lot of the gestures/words, I've retained the alphabet so I'm sharing that with you. Can't tell you how much fun it was as a kid to be at dinner spelling words out with my sister so no one else knew what we were saying LOL.

https://youtu.be/eKqFJu-o56E (to see the video if you can't open the one below - not sure why it's not working for me...) 


I should probably have a little disclaimer that I learned this as a kid, and have been signing it this way since then - if I'm doing anything incorrectly I'm sorry!!

4.1.19: microwave bowl cozy we still use these just about every day!
4.1.18: Easter and how to make a jelly bean tree
4.1.17: perfect baked sweet potatoes



No comments:

Post a Comment