Friday, April 10, 2020

My Sis is Hungry: Banana Muffins

I know, I know - how many 'new' recipes can there be for banana muffins? I have a great banana bread recipe that I've made for years (click here for the recipe) and can easily be turned into muffins, but this recipe for 'the best banana muffins' caught my eye and I'm always curious when someone declares and names their food 'the best' - a little presumptuous, no? I'm sure my sis is hungry this week because I didn't make her dinner hahahha, so I asked her to review these muffins instead - will they hold up to the claim of being 'the best'? Here's what she has to say:


So my sister gave me banana muffins, apparently that means I am not getting any real dinner this week. LOL. But I am happy to have the banana muffins. So I had a bite of the first one, it was OK. As a muffin goes it wasn’t super sweet, a little on the dry side. Tasted a bit more like bread. So then I got out the butter and tried again.  With butter I thought was pretty good. it tasted exactly like banana bread, which I happen to love. Then I fed a bite to the husband, he tried it first without the butter and he gave it a six, he tried it again with the butter and that took him to a 7 1/2. All in all as a muffin I would pass because everyone knows muffins are basically less glorified cupcakes - but my husband says if you want to look like a muffin then go ahead and eat them. So if this had been in a bread pan I probably would’ve felt better about my choice.


found the recipe here at melskitchencafe.com and am pasting directly from her site because I'm in a hurry trying to make hot cross buns and the dough is finally ready:



YIELD: 20-24 MUFFINS

THE BEST BANANA MUFFINS


PREP TIME 20 MINUTES

COOK TIME 15 MINUTES

TOTAL TIME 35 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS

  •  2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose or whole wheat flour
  •  1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  •  1 teaspoon baking soda
  •  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
  •  1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  2 to 2 1/4 cups mashed bananas (17-18 ounces, about 4-5 medium bananas)
  •  1 cup (7.5 ounces) light brown sugar
  •  1/2 cup (4 ounces) melted butter or neutral-flavored oil
  •  1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
  •  2 tablespoons milk
  •  2 large eggs
  •  1 1/2 cups add-ins (chocolate chips, nuts, etc)

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners or lightly grease with cooking spray. 
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. 
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, brown sugar, melted butter or oil, sour cream, milk and eggs until well-combined. 
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just combined and no dry streaks remain. If adding add-ins like chocolate chips, stir them in when there are still a few dry streaks remaining. Don't over mix or the muffins might be tough and dry in texture.
  5. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling the muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 15-17 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs and the top of the muffins spring back lightly to the touch. 
  6. Let cool for 1-2 minutes in the muffin tin before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.m


PS: Dave liked these because I left big chunks of bananas in the batter - I did not add chocolate chips tho and maybe everyone would have liked them better if I! I didn't because I wanted a muffin, not a cupcake without frosting...

No comments:

Post a Comment