Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Grandma Leonard's Banana Bread

I love old hand-written recipes, especially if they are all stained up and the paper is so thin I'm almost afraid it's going to disintegrate...why is that? Not sure, sense of history maybe. The fact that someone was making this recipe years and years ago makes it special to me. I've been making Grandma Leonard's banana bread recipe for years, if you don't already have a favorite recipe then give this oldie-but-goodie standard recipe a try! We love it.

                             


In her words:

Melt and put aside to cool
1/4 cup shortening
Sift together into a bowl
2 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
mix in and set aside
1 cup chopped nuts
peel and mash enough bananas to make 1 1/2 cups (3 to 4)
Mix until well blended
2 eggs well beaten
1/4 cup sour milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Blend in melted shortening and bananas
Make a well in center of dry ingredients, and add liquid mixture all at one time.
Stir only enough to moisten dry ingredients. Turn into pan and spread to corners.
Bake at 350' about 1 hour or until a wooden pick combs out clean when inserted in
center. Prepare 2 small loaf pans.



 

My notes:
- I don't add the nuts and we don't miss them
- I assume sour milk is buttermilk, or add a little vinegar to milk and let it stand for a couple minutes until it curdles.
-this time I made 7 little 3x5 mini loaves (adjust the baking time), there isn't enough batter for 2 regular loaf pans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment