Thursday, May 16, 2019

Mediterranean Lentil Salad

Made this salad for lunch and it's really good - fresh, crunchy, colorful, and healthy. What more could you want? (except maybe bacon. I always want bacon. And a donut.) I asked my sissy to come over for lunch but she has a "job" and is "very busy" and couldn't possibly take "that much time" for lunch...her loss! (kidding, she is genuinely super busy and I'm just messing with her). 


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups lentils
  • 1 cup julienned kale
  • 3/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
  • 3/4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup diced cucumber
  • 3/4 cup diced kalamata olives
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion
  • 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • lemon juice and zest, optional

Rinse the lentils and place them in a large pot. Add about 6 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, cook until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain off any remaining water. 

Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon dreid oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
Whisk to combine. 

6-8 servings. Salad can be served immediately or refrigerated up to 3 days. 


My notes: I didn't make this with their exact amounts, winged that part. Pretty much did equal parts of all the ingredients, but I made a lot less - probably half. I didn't want to make all 8 servings because Dave didn't even want to try this salad (because apparently lentils are too weird or something). Whatever. ! Also, I used my salad dressing cruet thing that came with a seasoning packet of dressing, (not sure maybe Wishbone?) so I didn't follow the recipe amounts called for - I filled up the cruet to the vinegar line (probably 1/4 cup), added a teaspoon of dijon mustard, a teaspoon of maple syrup, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste, then topped off with olive oil (less than 1/2 cup). Shake it all up and drizzle on the amount you want, store the rest to use for other salads. 






Click here for the original recipe

1 comment:

  1. Love Lentils! And in a salad....yes!! Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete