Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Chocolate Bunny Cake

This is similar to the white coconut version I make just about every year for Easter - but I made it chocolate this time and decorated with swirly buttercream frosting instead of the candy decorations I usually do. I love this version and think it's going to be my new standard bunny cake. We are going to be on the road this Easter, so I made this guy early - in time for you to make it for your Easter gathering.






Bake 2 9" round layer cakes using whatever flavor cake you want - I doctored a white cake mix with an extra egg, substituted milk and melted butter for the water and oil, dash of vanilla. Bake according to package directions and cool completely.

Meanwhile make chocolate buttercream frosting. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter then slowly add the other ingredients. Go easy adding the milk, monitoring how much you need to get the right  frosting consistency.

  • 1 stick softened butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • approx. 3 tablespoons milk
Once the cakes are cool place one round on a large platter. Cut the second one into three pieces following this highly professional drawing (I should have taken a picture when I cut the cake, oops) and put the ears in place on top of the round head:


I didn't have a platter big enough to add his usual bowtie, but if you do then just fit the middle leftover piece of cake (after you cut out the ears) under his head and frost along with the rest of the cake. 


Frost the sides and top of the cake before adding the swirls - I didn't frost the top first and could see bare cake thru the swirls, easy fix by adding dots and smaller swirls of frosting in the blank spaces. If I had frosted the top first it wouldn't have been necessary to fill the gaps. I like how it turned out tho with the different swirly textures. Create the swirls by putting the frosting in a decorator bag fitted with a tip, I played around with a few different sized openings to get the multiple textures. It would also be pretty to just frost using a spoon to create swoops and swirls so don't let it scare you from making this if you don't have tips and all that!



 I finished it with a few colorful sprinkles around the edges of the ears and along the very bottom of the cake - totally not necessary I just don't know when to stop ;)

4.10.18: prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella sticks
4.10.17: how to make paper umbrellas
4.10.16: oven steamed salmon


Happy moment ~ yellow tulips



No comments:

Post a Comment