Tuesday, April 7, 2020

How to make Crepes

Bored? Make crepes!


Natalie sent me this - I've never made crepes, have you? I've been a little intimidated to even try but she gave some good info and I'm going to tackle this one. Not sure if I want sweet or savory, she sent instructions on how to do both. I'm thinking I'll try sweet - she had my mouth watering after writing they usually sprinkle with brown sugar after brushing with melted butter! Because, yum!





Here's my text conversation with her:

Natalie: Made crepes today - in case you're bored. Joy of Cooking sweet recipe...we usually sprinkle with brown sugar after brushing with melted butter - but you can fill with macerated fruit and/or cream cheese or ricotta too!

Me: Yum!! I've never made crepes, is it hard?

Nat: Hardest part is having just under medium temperature pan - butter the pan before EVERY crepe. Lift pan off the burner. Pour only 2 Tablespoons batter into center of the pan, while tipping the pan in a clockwise circle to coat evenly! Then wait a minute or two for browning - and use a flexible scraper spatula to run around the edge to loosen and then lift a side - use your fingers (it'll be hot!) to gently grab and flip...otherwise pretty easy.

I thanked her for sharing of course and said I'm game to try. Then she added this:

Savory with light spinach dip rolled up, or with prosciutto and thin cake and neufachel! Just omit sugar and double the salt.


I looked in my Joy of Cooking cookbook for the recipe - I'm pretty sure it's this one for "french pancakes or crepes":

Sift:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Resift with:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

In a second bowl, Beat:
2 eggs

Add and beat:
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Make a well in the sifted ingredients. Pour in the liquid ingredients. Combine them with a few swift strokes. Ignore the lumps; they will take care of themselves. You may rest the batter refrigerated 3 to 6 hours. Heat a 5" skillet. Grease it with a few drops of oil. Add a small quantity of batter. Tip the skillet and let the batter spread over the bottom. Cook the pancake over moderate heat. When it is brown underneath, reverse it and brown the other side. Use a few drops of oil for each pancake. Spread the cake with jelly, roll it and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar

makes fourteen to sixteen 5" cakes


4.7.19: around the campfire 🔥
4.7.18: swedish fish cocktail
4.7.17: DIY phone case by Brooke (I still use this btw, I just switched it to another clear case)
4.7.16: how to repair a wall clock

No comments:

Post a Comment