Tuesday, April 14, 2020

DIY: fabric masks

I'm a couple weeks behind everyone making fabric masks, but with the 'stay-at-home' restrictions continuing I figured I better get on it! I'm limited to the fabric I have on hand, which is a lot of holiday and a little left over from other projects like quilts, etc. The first one I made using a large pattern that is cup-shaped and I did it in burgundy snowflake mostly because I wasn't sure what I was doing and used it as sort of a sample. Dave wore it a few times and then nicely asked if I had anything a little cooler, or manly like skulls and crossbones hahahha. So I made him a skeleton one out of Halloween fabric but apparently that isn't what he had in mind LOL! 


I made the majority of them with binding tape ties, those are quite a bit more time consuming because I had to make the long strips. Then I found a small stash of thin elastic and made a few with ear loops, those go much quicker so I liked making them - downside is they aren't adjustable like the ties so might not fit everyone. 





I'm not going to bore you with mask patterns and how to sew them - there are SO many good instructions online. I played with a few different ways to make them and ended up settling on a simple pleated one with either ties or elastic. Most of them I started with 2 squares 9" x 7" and ended up with a mask approximately 8" x 3.5".  One tip came from Tracy, I started sewing a 6" length of pipe cleaner to the inside top edge, that way you can bend over the bridge of your nose and it made the fit much better. In the picture below you can see it sewn across the top edge, I used a wide zigzag stitch to hold it in place. 


These are the last two I made this morning to get in the mail to my niece. I have fabric for 1 or 2 more and then I'm done with mask making (great way to use up a big stash of odds and ends fabric) unless I find more fabric and elastic. Trying to keep everyone healthy!! 


4.14.19: 🔥 recap (with a beautiful bunny cake!)
4.14.18: strawberry cream cheese frosting
4.14.17: Brooke's DIY speaker
4.14.16: how to repair an ironing board

No comments:

Post a Comment