Friday, May 14, 2021

Fresh Tomato Pie

This is from LeDonna, she has a funny story to go along with this amazing recipe. I can personally attest to how great it is, I even ate it cold for breakfast the next morning :) 



Summer, Friday TGIF drinks on our deck.  Dan/Bernadette and Dave/Susie from across the street. 

I was planning very simple dinner for Mark and I, can’t even remember what it was, but knew we had plenty.  Probably when 2nd martini’s were being shook, we invited them all to join us for dinner.

Well when we started getting dinner stuff around, Bernadette wanted to contribute and said, I am gonna run home and “whip up a tomato pie”, in her very sweet southern accent, that was awesome!  And so we had tomato pie along with whatever I made.

Obviously tomato pie was fantastic, and I asked her to give me the recipe!  Bernadette is so sweet and I have teased about “whipping up tomato pie”, now I am so happy to have whipped up my own tomato pie, and plan on whipping up more in the future ❣️



FRESH TOMATO PIE

  • 9" unbaked pastry shell
  • 1 medium onion, sliced and slices separated 
  • 2 (6" to 8") ripe tomatoes, sliced
  • 1/3 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan
  • 3/4 cup mayo
  • salt, pepper, and basil for garnish
Preheat oven to 400'

Bake pastry shell 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven.

Place onion slices in bottom and arrange tomatoes over top, salt and pepper to taste. Combine cheeses and mayo in a separate bowl, spread over tomatoes and onions. 

Bake 20-25 minutes until golden. Garnish with basil leaves. 



note: I did not have fresh basil, so I sprinkled parsley flakes on top after pulling from oven

And I used cherry tomatoes, sliced little.  Not sure how many, just what I thought would be enough to layer over the onion. Sometimes I add chopped cooked bacon.











5.14.20: barre workout

5.14.19: tipsy tuesday: cleaning the microwave
5.14.18: organizing die cut templates for the Big Shot
5.14.17: one of my favorite cakes - raspberry and whipped cream
5.14.16: make a birthday balloon card

No comments:

Post a Comment