Thursday, October 14, 2021

Spiderweb Deviled Eggs (with 'Rotten' Filling)

How fun and sort of gross are these deviled eggs for Halloween (or any time you want fun and sort of gross deviled eggs)? My mind knows the filling is only green because of the food coloring but even so, green filled eggs makes me think they've gone bad hahaha. But they taste great, and super easy to make.


Make however many hard boiled eggs you want - see below for a couple ways I boil them. After they are boiled and cooled, gently roll them on the counter to cause the shell to crackle, or lightly tap them with a spoon to just crack in specific areas - do not remove the shells. Place water mixed with black food coloring in a large ziplock bag or glass bowl, add the cracked eggs and refrigerate for at least a couple hours up to overnight. Peel the eggs to reveal the cool spiderweb effect. 





Make the deviled egg filling, we make them (my sis makes the best and I copy hers!) like this: mash the cooked egg yolks with light mayo, mustard, and spicy brown mustard until smooth; season with salt and pepper. I usually make it in the food processor so it's super smooth but you can easily do it with a fork.To make the 'rotten' filling add a little green food coloring. Fill the eggs; sprinkle with poppy seeds (or black sesame seeds) if desired. 




A couple ways to boil eggs (posted previously):

I have been making hard boiled eggs for years the same way (put the eggs in a pan, fill with water, bring to a boil for 5 minutes, turn off heat and cover, let rest in hot water for 20 minutes) and they are foolproof, perfectly done everytime. But if the eggs are too fresh then it's always a crap shoot if I could peel them easily (did you know that fresh eggs are the culprit behind difficult-to-peel hard boiled eggs? Yep!) and if I wanted pretty deviled eggs then it was such a pain hoping to get enough nice ones.  I'm making deviled eggs to take to a friends house and of course bought brand new eggs this morning...and then I saw this method with the claim that even fresh eggs will peel perfectly...well of course I'm going to try it!

Bring a pot of water to a boil and then carefully lower the eggs into the pan. Let them boil in a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Drain; then put the hot eggs into a bowl of ice water and let cool for 5-10 minutes. And sure enough, every one of the eggs peeled super easy - I'm shocked. A couple have a sort of dent on the side (I put them on the top in this picture), not sure what that's about, but when I halve the eggs I'll just make sure to put the dented side on the bottom.


10.14.20: chewy granola bars

10.14.19: paper pumpkin

10.14.18: around the campfire 




















No comments:

Post a Comment