Monday, September 28, 2015

Pumpkin Tower



Thought I'd make a tower of pumpkins to put outside our front door, usually I put a carved pumpkin in the birdbath but this year wanted to try something different. I bought three different sizes of carvable fake pumpkins (10", 12", 14") to stack up - once I did it though I decided three was too tall and it looked like the leaning tower of pumpkin...plus how to anchor so it wouldn't fall over in the wind?

I started by cutting a hole in the bottom of the smallest pumpkin, to fit over the second pumpkins stem - I had to carve off some of the top to make them lay flat against each other, then I hot glued them in place.




For the third/bottom pumpkin I cut off the stem and used 4 skewers to attach it to the middle
pumpkin. It worked fine but was too tall and tippy - so I removed the bottom one and like it much better that way. I'll find another thing to do with the white one...



 I finished by putting an inexpensive grapevine wreath on the birdbath,  stuck down the 2 pumpkins in the birdbath with some museum putty (earthquake proof sticky stuff that almost has the consistency of chewed gum), and filled around the pumpkins with natural excelsior moss.





1 comment: