Monday, September 21, 2015

German Chocolate Cupcakes




I have 2 BFF's that are September babies and both happen to love german chocolate cake  - L. always manages to visit me around her birthday so I make it for her, but M. hasn't figured out that I can't ship this cake very easily and if she wants it she will need to come see me haha!! I'm not even going to question if L. only visits for her cake fix...and M. this is a bribe for you to come see me, there will be cake!

I usually make this as a multi-layer cake with layers of filling but this time I decided to experiment and put the filling inside of cupcakes instead - judging by L. eating these for breakfast this morning I'm thinking it was a success!


I doctor a german chocolate cake mix with sour cream, an extra egg, less water, and mini chocolate chips in the batter; the filling is coconut-pecan (see below for recipe); the topping is basic chocolate ganache. I make the filling pretty thick so it's easier to spread and stays between the cake layers instead of squishing out.  For the cupcakes I put 2 T. of cake batter in each cup, topped it with 1 T. of filling, then added another 1 T. of batter on top - this picture is what they looked like with filling on batter and then batter on top. Bake for approx 18 minutes, cool, then drizzle ganache over top. Delish!


COCONUT-PECAN FILLING

1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 package (7 oz) sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Place the evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened and golden brown in color, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Cool the filling to room temperature before spreading, 20 minutes.

*I've used this recipe for years, I think it came from the Cake Mix Doctor. I don't use all of the cooked milk mixture so the final product is a little thicker - it's easier to spread and fill. I usually use a 2 cup bag of larger pecan pieces (chop up 1 1/2 cups of the bag for the filling, use the other 1/2 cup pecans to decorate the top of the cake), for the cupcakes I used pecan chips instead.

2 comments:

  1. Those look awesome if I wasn't allergic to coconut I would try and make them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, allergic to coconut :(. My husband is allergic to nuts - I can't imagine never eating peanut butter either!

    ReplyDelete