Friday, September 23, 2016

Painting Pottery

the under colors are different soft shades
of pink, yellow, pale blue, pale green - hard
to see in this photo. 
Brooke and I did one of our favorite things a couple weeks ago and went to the pottery painting place for the afternoon. We've been doing this since she was little and let me tell you, her skill level is certainly improving! You'll have to ask her about the time she was painting a mickey mouse figurine and decided to do this flicking paint thing all over it that she watched someone else doing, that sounds fine until you picture her doing this with red paint right across from where I was sitting carefully painting a platter for a friend's birthday -- you guessed it, I had red flecks everywhere and wasn't happy about it! Yikes. She's really good at it now thank goodness :) For her mom's birthday she painted a travel mug in very tasteful gray with white polka dots and the inside yellow - very cute.

I couldn't decide what to make (it's good to go to the place with a plan!) but then thought I'd try a technique I saw somewhere and make a platter with the blog name on it - I painted the first few coats multiple different washed colors, then stuck the letters down where I wanted the words to be and painted a couple coats of dark teal over top of the whole thing. After it dried I removed the letters so the washed colors could be seen from underneath. If I do it again I will make the under colors much brighter, the soft washed colors don't show up super good - but it's still cool and I'm going to make it my Facebook profile pic for awhile. Have you ever gone to paint pottery? Great way to entertain a kid, kill some time, and make something different and unique while you're at it!
working on the travel mug for her mom.

painting pottery selfie 

you can see the letters stuck down on the plate, then I painted overtop. after it's dry carefully peel off the letters.
yes, Brooke is for some reason singing into her pretend microphone in the background - hahaha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment