Sunday, September 18, 2016

Steven's Favorite Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Candy brought me two pieces of this mac and cheese, said it's her husbands favorite but it isn't hers so she wanted me to try it and see what I thought. Well I'll tell you what I thought - it is great!! I can't believe she doesn't love this rich, cheesy, creamy fabulousness of pasta! I try to not each much pasta but I could not stop eating this - fortunately she told me he cuts it up into squares and freezes it so when he just wants a piece it's already portioned out and is still great after thawing and re-heating, so I attacked the first piece and then immediately popped the second piece into the freezer so I wouldn't inhale that one too (for now anyway!). I love the idea to freeze this in individual squares, that will be perfect to go with my frozen meatloaf "cupcakes" - if you need a quick dinner, just pull out a meatloaf cupcake and a piece of mac and cheese...I can't think of a better frozen dinner. Mmmmm... Thanks for sharing the recipe Candy and Steve :)

12 oz. macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
2/3 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of cheddar soup
4 cups sharp cheddar (divided)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
bacon bits

Cook macaroni according to package directions, don't overcook - you want the noodles slightly firm.
Melt butter in large saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes. Then slowly add milk and cream. Remove from heat, add parmesan and 3 cups cheddar cheese. Add soup and mix well.
Place cooked macaroni in ungreased 13x9 baking dish and pour sauce over macaroni, stir to combine. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese and bacon bits (sprinkle on however many you want!)
Bake at 425' for 18-20 minutes until bubbly.

after it cools cut it into pieces and put in the freezer - great leftover idea!
This is really really good - you're gonna love me (and Steve!) for sharing this one with you!

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome. Thanks for all the kind words! Steve and Candy :)

    ReplyDelete