Thursday, September 8, 2016

Rearranging Furniture

I haven't talked about this much on the blog, but I have a serious problem - well maybe not a problem exactly (although to Dave it is), more like an obsession...I love love love to rearrange furniture. Seriously, I love it and do it all the time. It is not uncommon for me to get up super early in the morning and decide everything needs to be moved - one time Dave came stumbling out of bed to everything pushed into the middle of the room and said "just tell me where I'm supposed to drink my coffee?" haha. I don't have any good tips or tricks necessarily - there are times where I measure and cut out little squares of paper (to scale) representing all of our furniture and play with it on grid paper (those are the days I'm saving my back from experimenting and only want to move it once) or there are times like today that I just keep moving things around (including the giant area rug) until I settle on something I like. I spent all morning coming up with different ways to put everything; I'd think it looked good then Sarge and I would sit on the couch for a sec and realize I didn't like it, and then move it again. Same thing with all the little decorative stuff - after getting the furniture in place I started in shuffling things around. I have a room in the basement that has standing shelves filled with extra stuff - baskets, doodads, candles, etc. So when I'm rearranging and looking for something different I go "shopping" in my own house and bring things out from the basement storage area. I try not to buy new things very often, just rotate thru what I already have.

Sarge was happy to discover 2 "lost" balls under the couch!

Today I shoved things off the main rug and gave everything a good sweeping, unplugged cords and took all the stuff off the tables - it's fun to start totally fresh once in a while. Dave was sitting just outside of where I was rearranging and after I asked a couple questions about what he thought, he got up and said he was leaving cuz I was going to drive him crazy. That's one way to get him out of my hair!

One thing I do that helps a lot (oh, maybe I forgot to mention that I do this totally by myself - I don't get a whole lot of grief about changing things anymore but I have to do it on my own. So the rule is if I can figure out how to move it myself then it can and will be moved) is to put those slider things under the legs of whatever I'm moving, it helps a lot. Just be careful that they aren't scratching the floor when sliding pieces around - sometimes I put a towel under the legs to help prevent that. Candy just gave me the idea to leave some sliders under the washer and dryer so you can easily move them out to clean behind - that's a great idea and I'm a little disappointed I didn't think of that myself!

Anyway - just hoping to inspire you to look at your rooms and maybe change them around and freshen things up! It's fun! Really! Maybe don't ask Dave though...;)


No comments:

Post a Comment