Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sprinkles No-Bake Cheesecake

Funny story - at my sister's work they take turns bringing in birthday treats, you bring for the person who has the next birthday after yours. Every year when it's her turn to bring in for the guy (I'll call him P.) who has the birthday after her (and it's always been P., no one has hired in to change the order) I always volunteer to make the dessert for her because...well I think we all know why - she dislikes baking but I love it! So over the years I've made quite a few different things for her to take in, P. doesn't like buttercream frosting so I come up with something other than the usual frosted cupcakes for him (last year it was a giant whoopee pie). Well this year another man has hired in that shares the same birthday with P. - they were all discussing this and someone said they were sorry for my sister cuz now she'll have 2 people to bake for and P.  goes "no, I feel sorry for her sister!". Ha! That made me laugh...
Add caption

Anyway - this year I decided to make Sprinkles No-Bake Cheesecake and it turned out pretty good. It tastes great, there are just a couple things I'd do different next time - here's the recipe I followed and then I'll post my notes after.

Crust:
2 1/2 cups Golden Birthday Cake Oreo crumbs (I found it's about 25 oreos FYI)
3 T. melted butter
2 T. sprinkles

Filling:
24 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon butter flavor
3 T. sprinkles, plus more for decorating
12 oz. Cool Whip, divided
*note I added a big spoonful of sour cream to the batter, I like that flavor in cheesecake - you do not have to do this and it's still delish.

Instructions:
1. Combine oreo crumbs with melted butter and sprinkles, press into the bottom and halfway up the sides of a 9" springform pan. Set in the refrigerator to firm.
2. Mix cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla, butter flavor together in a large bowl until smooth and well combined.
3. Gently stir in 8oz Cool Whip and sprinkles.
4. Pour filling evenly into the crust and smooth the top.
5. Refrigerate for about 4-6 hours or until firm.
6. Remove cheesecake from springform pan and put on a cake plate. Top with remaining whipped cream and additional sprinkles. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Notes: spray the springform pan before putting the crust in to make it easier to remove the cheesecake from the pan. make sure the crust around the sides of the pan is not too thin or it will crumble when you remove the finish cake from the pan - try to get it even all around the sides and the bottom. I put the cool whip in a decorating bag and piped stars around the top and added sprinkles, it wanted to spread though and didn't stay in high peaks. I would probably make fresh whipped cream in the future for decorating - or just spread the cool whip evenly across the top (or swirling it around with a spoon would be pretty) and then add sprinkles. Oh, and you will use a small bottle of sprinkles for this cake so make sure you have enough!
I didn't know there was such a thing as birthday cake oreos! Where have I been?

Sarge wondering why I'm holding this pan over his head..




I based the idea for this cheesecake from this recipe (click here to see it), then changed it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment