Thursday, June 6, 2019

My Sister is Hungry: Honey Chipotle Chicken Pasta Salad

The last couple of reviews my sister has done for the "my sister is hungry" posts have had the recurring theme of "too mild" or "too bland" - so this week I amped it up and made her this Honey- Chipotle Chicken Pasta Salad that is definitely not mild or bland. I'm not a fan of spicy food but there is something about this dish that is the perfect amount of heat - almost addictive. Here's what she has to say about it:



Stopped at my sisters house to pick up my dinner to go.  She was there helping Brooke and her friend cook their Spanish homework. (different story I’m sure my sister will blog). She didn’t “sell” this one well.  Cold pasta.  “like pasta salad” I ask apprehensively?  (thinking in my head, where is the main dish?).  I started by opening it and taking a peek.  Brooke takes a bite, her friend Grace take a bite.  They then each take another bite! They then ask me to leave them a plate of it to snack on!  Well now I’m excited to eat this! 

Even tho skeptical about it being cold, it was still delicious.  DELICIOUS.  It was spicy and flavorful.  It was a nice mix of pasta, chicken, banana peppers and a yummy spicy sauce.  She also gave me a side of the spicy sauce (she apparently knows how much I love sauce) which I then poured over a few bites to try it that way as well.  YUM.  I then thought “well gee if its this good cold, I should try it hot!” I then promptly microwaved some of it.  I could hear my sisters voice telling me just to eat it as she made it and I should have listened to that.  It just wasn’t as good hot.  I don’t know why but didn’t have the same delicious flavor when I heated it.   

My hubs got home late and ready to eat dinner. He was skeptical as well.  “Cold”?  was the first thing he said. HAHAHAHA.. I advised him just to trust me (and Jill) and he did. He loved it as well. His ONLY “complaint” was that it was cold.  He then asked if he should try heating it… so apparently we think the same. I should be embarrassed by that part.

Bottom line is that this one was delicious. Even Cold.  Loved it.  Seems like a great thing to make ahead when pushed for time or take as a dish to pass somewhere- since it doesn’t have to be hot. ðŸ˜Š  
We both give this one a solid 8.  I might actually read the recipe and attempt to make it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ditalini pasta (small little tubes)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 cups rotisserie chicken (note: I used boiled, shredded chicken breasts)
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup sliced banana peppers, drained
  • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chives
For the Vinaigrette:
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (note: I used a little less based on the reviews)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise 
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus more if needed (note: I used 4 tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:

To Make the Honey-Chipotle Vinaigrette:
Put the vinegar, mayo, honey, chipotle, mustard, italian seasoning, garlic and some salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is combined and emulsified. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, or add more chipotle if you want it more spicy.

Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.

Toss the pasta with the Honey-Chipotle Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Next, add the chicken, cherry tomatoes and banana peppers. Toss it all and transfer to a pasta bowl for serving. Top with fanned-out avocado slices and garnish with the chives.

found the recipe on foodnetwork.com, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment