Thursday, June 20, 2019

My Sister is Hungry: Chipotle Sweet Potato Vegan Posole

Irish Stew?  Is that what my sister said this was called?  Whatever its called we loved it.

First of all I didnt tell the husband “stew”.  He likes soup.  So when he said “oh yay! Soup!” I didn’t correct him.  As he started giving his feedback though I realized I should have told him because his first comment was that there wasn’t very much broth.  Nope.. not a lot of broth in stew.  HAHHAHAHA..  his second comment was that she should have cut the carrots up smaller.  Nope, not carrots.  Those are sweet potato chunks buddy.  (insert eye roll here).  Again I didn’t correct him.  If I said sweet potato he would have immediately said he didn’t like it (like a small child).  So ok.  Note to Jill- those carrots were in too big of chunks. Haha.
Overall we loved this.  It was thick enough that it felt like an actual meal (which is what I don’t like about soup). I like to chew my food.  I also loved how spicy this was.  Just enough.  Some folks might have thought too spicy but for us was just right. 

This stew with a piece of bread was a perfect delicious meal.  It also was just as delicious reheated the next day- love that also.


*Jill here: No, it isn't Irish Stew - I guess I need to make her that so she knows what it is haha. I didn't tell her it's actually "Posole" because I don't know what that is so she sure isn't going to - ok, I just googled it and it means traditional Mexican soup. I just learned something!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 medium poblano pepper, seeded and diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 (14 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 (14 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14 oz.) can hominy, drained
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (or to taste)
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
  • salt and pepper to taste
for serving (optional):
  • lime wedges
  • fresh cilantro
Directions:
  1. Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and poblano pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute more, until very fragrant.
  2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, hominy, cumin, oregano, chipotle chile powder, and sweet potato. Raise the heat and bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the sweet potato is tender, about 20 minutes. 
  3. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Ladle into bowls and serve with cilantro and lime wedges (if using).
4 servings
per serving: calories 378, fat 9.8g, carb 58.5g, pro 15.7g

Notes: I had canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce left over from making the Honey-Chipotle Chicken Pasta Salad so I substituted that instead of using a poblano pepper and chile powder as called for in this recipe. I also substituted chicken broth for the veggie broth - which obviously makes it not vegan now,  but since I'm not vegan I'm ok with that. 


found at www.connoisseurusveg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment