Thursday, December 22, 2022

Crockpot White Bean Chicken Chili by Macey

Mae sent me this recipe and pictures and yum! This looks and sounds great, and I love the details she shared - thanks again Macey!  Here's what she did, in her words (her last sentence made me laugh!):



Tonight’s dinner was a White Bean Chicken Chili prepared in the crockpot! 

I began by carmelizing onions, (1 whole white onion) in Olive Oil and Butter… (salted butter is best). From there, I added minced garlic (this recipe calls for 4 cloves which I thought seemed like a lot, but it wasn’t)! 

Once the garlic was just about done (seriously, only cook the garlic for less than a minute or you’ll run the risk of burning… yuck). 

I added 1/2 can of northern beans with 1 cup of chicken broth into a blender and let it go until the consistency was smooth. 

From there, both the contents from blender and onions/garlic in pan went into crockpot where I then added the remainder of the northern beans (1/2 can), a 1/2 cup chicken broth (not included in the blender), 1 can of whole kernel corn (drained) and a couple tablespoons of green chilies. ** the recipe calls for 1, 4oz can of green chilies but I couldn’t find at the store so I went with the best bang for my buck and figure I’ll make something else this week that incorporates the remaining green chiles 🤤 (no food gets wasted around here! HAHA). 

There is two ways you can do the chicken for this chili. Either put the chicken in raw (breasts) and let it slow cook for 4 hours (turn on high for the first 30 mins and then bring to a low level on crockpot for the remaining 3.5 hours). 

I didn’t do this way; rather, I took the chicken that I had in the fridge already (I like to cook a whole chicken once a week and use this as a way to make many many meals… I don’t cook the chicken fully so that it doesn’t dry out). But I used this chicken for the chili and shredded the pieces by hand). 

From here, I added the oregano, salt and pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, (all 1 tablespoon) and a few drops of lime juice to taste. It adds a nice zing to it without overpowering! 

Once you are nearing time to eat, spoon a dollop or two of sour cream, (heavy whipping cream if necessary but I try to keep things somewhat healthier where I can). 

I topped the chili with cilantro, and more salt and pepper to taste. You can add shredded cheese to the top as well, but I decided I’d rather drink those extra calories in wine than include 🧀 😜



12.22.21: funny secret santa 

12.22.20: circle gift card enclosure

12.22.19: ðŸ”¥ week 51

12.22.18: wine cork reindeer ornament












12.22.17: coconut thumbprint cookies


12.22.16: santa ball ornament












12.22.15: hot chocolate spoons



No comments:

Post a Comment