Friday, December 2, 2022

MSIH: Quick King Ranch Chicken Casserole

Made this for my sis - here’s her review and the recipe follows along with my notes (I did change a few things but I'll give you the recipe as written):


So I didn’t see the recipe before I heated this up for dinner.  The husband asked me what is was called and I had no idea.  We scooped it out and it smelled delicious and he asked me what was in it and I had no idea. Let me be clear it didn’t really look “great”.  Not horrible but not great.  The fact we couldn’t tell what it was (pasta? We saw chicken and some tomatoes but what else?) but at first bite we were hooked.

I have to be honest, we spent the first part of the meal still trying to figure out what exactly it is.  Still couldn’t tell if there is noodles or not but it did have delicious pieces of chicken.  It all kind of blended together and tasted great whatever it is.  It’s a little bit spicy like a Tex-Mex kind of thing which I really like.  My husband thought I would be putting sour cream on it but it really didn’t need that because it was so good just the way it was.  It definitely gave off a vibe of almost a thick chicken stew? But either way we loved it. We both gave it an 8.

Ps.. I would need to see the recipe to decide if I’m going to make it again. First, If its terrible for me or has straight cream cheese or something in it maybe not- or if it is super complicated/hard to make.  But if its neither of things I would definitely make it again because it really was delicious. 

 

Ingredients

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Preheat broiler to high.

  • Heat oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, bell pepper, poblano and jalapeño; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, until they are thoroughly coated, about 1 minute.

  • Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, tortilla pieces and salt. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.

  • Place the skillet under the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Nutrition Facts 

1 1/4 cups
 
332 calories; protein 29.5g; carbohydrates 20.7g; dietary fiber 3.8g; sugars 6.3g; fat 14.4g; saturated fat 5.6g; cholesterol 76.9mg; vitamin a iu 1974.3IU; vitamin c 65.3mg; folate 45.3mcg; calcium 165.2mg; iron 1.6mg; magnesium 44.4mg; potassium 443.1mg; sodium 376.4mg. 

3 lean protein, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat, 1/2 medium-fat protein, 1/2 starch


Recipe found here at eatingwell 

*My notes - I omitted the poblano, fresh jalapeños, and the cilantro; added chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and a bit of the sauce. Added an additional 2 ounces of cream cheese, used 1/2 large onion, 1 whole red pepper, and 1/2 can diced chilies.


12.2.21: fried beets 

12.2.20: popsicle stick snowmen by B (I was so happy to open my Christmas stuff this year and find these cuties!)











12.2.19: poinsettia gift topper

12.2.18: ðŸ”¥ week 48

12.2.17: decorated the 'dog house'

12.2.16: kids Christmas party: gingerbread houses

12.2.15: DIY bell bottom jeans












No comments:

Post a Comment