Thursday, June 7, 2018

May '18 - Viking Cruise part 1: Norway to Denmark

Cathy and I both posted quite a few photos on Facebook while we were on the cruise so I'm going to try not boring you and just show you a few more highlights from each day. Part 1 -  Bergen, Norway to Copenhagen, Denmark.

We did shore excursions every day to get an overlook of each stop - and there were a lot of stops...we rode the funicular up the side of a mountain in Bergen, Norway (side note: I always thought it was called a "vernicular" but apparently I've been saying it wrong - I'm also guilty of thinking the lyrics to the 4 Seasons song "big man's world" was actually "big bad squirrel" ...seriously, youtube that song right now and tell me it doesn't sound like they are saying "big bad squirrel" and get back to me).

                                      
                                      the funicular runs up the mountain in the middle of
this photo. Bergen, Norway




                                      
      riding the funicular































our port in Bergen - the cruise ship is in the background. There
was a carnival set up on the side of the road right by our ship, you can see
a ferris wheel behind the tall ship in the front. 

visited gorgeous waterfalls and breathtaking scenery - and ate our first of many thin crispy waffles with jam and cream - in Eidfjord, Norway. 

Dave and Mary sampling the waffles in Eidfjord-
I ate my fair share too but someone had to take the picture!


we were in Norway on their National Celebration day and were treated to a parade thru town.  





went on a small boat cruise to Pulpit Rock in Stavanger, Norway; 



Pulpit Rock, Stavanger, Norway - rumor has it that Tom Cruise
is going to jump off of it in an upcoming movie...

the only time all trip I wore a hat, and even then it wasn't cold enough to need it. 


we walked around the old town of Alborg, Denmark including a stop at a "Viking Village" where we sampled mead and weird interesting crackers with lard and roasted onions (for real, straight out lard!) 



can you see the birdhouses on the side of this building? They
were all over it, painted to blend in. 

Spent the day with a friend of a friend in Copenhagen - Carolyn (check her out @carolynsfabfood) showed us around the beautiful city including the Little Mermaid statue, changing of the guard at the palace, we stopped at Tivoli Gardens which (once again I should have done a little research first) is the 2nd oldest amusement park in the world, we tried authentic danish pastries, and then for dinner we walked up to an outdoor eatery that truly served the best burger I think I've ever eaten in my life. If you ever go to Copenhagen you really really really should go to "Gasoline Grill" and have a burger. Oh man, my mouth is watering. Thanks again to Carolyn for being such a great tour guide; 

Copenhagen - we sat outside and had "smørrebrød" which
are like open faced sandwiches. 

I've never seen so many blooming lilacs, they're everywhere!  So jealous...

me and all my friends visiting the Little Mermaid statue

I realize this is a photo of a half eaten burger but when
I started eating it I didn't realize it was going to be the
best burger ever and I would want a picture!! Yum! 


Come back tomorrow for part 2 - Germany to Sweden.



No comments:

Post a Comment