Saturday, June 30, 2018

Strawberry Collins

Guys. It's sooooooo hot here I'm hiding in the house in front of the fan - on the upside it gives me more time to craft and make stuff...gotta look for the positives :)

I found this recipe for a modified Tom Collins, I've never had one and I have all the ingredients on hand (no going to the grocery store - I'm not leaving the house if I can help it, you got that - right?) so thought I'd try this version. Since I don't know what a Tom Collins tastes like I can't tell you how this strawberry cocktail compares - but it's delish regardless! I'm thinking for a patriotic holiday cocktail I'll add frozen whole blueberries to the drink - that'd be pretty.

This recipe makes 2 drinks - the only thing I changed from the posted recipe is she adds a touch of pomegranate syrup and I don't have that so I omitted it.

Strawberry Collins

10 strawberries, plus more if you want to freeze some and use in place of ice cubes
4 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 ounces vodka (gin is in the original Tom Collins but substituting vodka is a thing, I prefer vodka)
club soda
ice cubes


  • puree the strawberries until smooth, add the sugar and let it set until the sugar dissolves. 
  • put 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a tall glass (note: I don't have old fashioned size glasses, but I'm not a stickler for having to have my drinks in the correct glass!)
  • add 1 1/2 oz. vodka to the glass 
  • divide the puree in half and add to the glass, stir to mix it all together. Note: I didn't puree mine enough so it's a bit chunky - next time I'll blend it more. You could also strain the puree to remove some of the seeds if you like. Second note: I'm not sure why she didn't just add the alcohol and lemon juice to the blender along with the puree - next time I'll blend it all together that way instead of stirring the mixture up in the glass. 
  • add a couple ice cubes or whole frozen berries. Another note: it would taste good to add crushed ice to the blender along with the puree - it'd be more like a frozen daiquiri that way I guess and maybe that's straying too far from calling this a "Collins".
  • top with club soda and enjoy! One more note: for the second drink I experimented by using coconut flavored seltzer water and it was even better than plain club soda. 


Click here for the original source.

No comments:

Post a Comment