Thursday, June 13, 2019

My Sister is Hungry: Mini Calzones

Jill here - I didn't follow a recipe for these little calzones and am pleasantly surprised they turned out so good. Dave was really bummed that I gave them away, I didn't think he'd want them for dinner so I gave them to my sis for this week's My Sister is Hungry review - oops, guess I should have asked! They're so easy and quick to make, I'll make him another batch and he'll get over it haha. Here's what she has to say:



So its looking to be a very busy week.  So that said, instead of dinner this week we got a “snack”.  “Little mini calzones”.   This sounds great to me.  I love snacks.  So in my mind I am envisioning something roughly the size of a large pizza roll.  When I get these first of all they are not a large pizza roll.  These are meal sized.  Like the size of an oddly shaped “uncrustable”. (ever had those?  lazy people’s peanut butter and jelly?-  a story for a different time).  Anyway - they were big enough for a meal.  Not sure what kind of “snacking” people do at her house but these were a meal.  Add in a salad and I’d be done. BOOM.  Hey... I just have a great idea for dinner tonight.. 

So these looked fantastic first of all.  Really pretty.  They had a beautiful crust.  Dusted with something yummy, almost cheesy looking. I don’t know if she made it from scratch but it was great. Tasted exactly like I’m describing.  Little pockets of pizza goodness. Inside it was cheesy and delicious.  Not sure what was in it besides cheese and mushrooms.  Husband thought ham- I don’t love ham so I didn’t peel it apart to see what was inside.  Just decided to eat it and enjoy.  He thought it was so good could have been served in a restaurant. 

One thought I had was I should have reheated in the oven instead of the microwave.  Microwaving didn’t leave it a crisp.  Another thought is she asked if I had pizza sauce to dip into but really didn’t need it.  It had great flavor without it.  I also tried dipping in ranch - again not needed.  

Bottom line is these were fantastic. Hubby loved them - he gives it a solid 8 ½ and says this was his favorite meal she made so far…yes for us it was a meal - not a snack. ðŸ˜Š  So good we will have it for dinner again tonight!


Ingredients:

  • 1 tube pizza dough
  • canadian bacon, chopped
  • canned mushrooms, chopped
  • shredded cheese, I used Italian4-cheese blend
  • dried Italian seasoning
  • pizza sauce
  • egg, beaten
  • grated parmesan cheese
Directions:

Unroll the pizza dough and roll out to about 1/4" thickness. Using a 4 1/2" bowl as a guide, cut out circles of dough; reroll the scraps of dough and continue cutting out circles until you use all the dough - I got 8 pretty ones and 1 scraggly one from the end of the scraps.



Spoon about a tablespoon of pizza sauce onto each circle, spread around but leave a little space along the edge free of sauce. Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning over the sauce, then top with canadian bacon, mushrooms, and cheese. 


Fold the circle in half, brush the edges with the beaten egg, then seal using the tip of a fork pressed into the edges. 


Brush the tops with beaten egg, sprinkle with grated parmesan and coarse pepper. Bake at 400' for about 12 minutes until golden brown. Serve with additional pizza sauce (or ranch) if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment