Monday, June 10, 2019

Wine Cork Flower Wreath

I saw this idea online (click here for source) and loved it so much I couldn't wait to make one - and I love how it turned out! I have it hanging on our back door which is inside the garage so it won't be exposed to the elements, not sure how good this would hold up if I hung it on the front door that gets tons of heat and sun.

This is quite easy to make - just hot glue groups of corks together in a flower shape, changing up the flowers by using red and white wine corks - some have red wine for the centers surrounded by white wine "petals", or vise versa, or dark red petals with a pale red center...I just played around with my corks coming up with flower bundles that I liked. To make it a little more interesting I used some shorter corks for some flowers (cutting down if necessary so all 7 in the bundle are the same depth), and some taller ones - did you know that all corks aren't the same size? I just searched for ones that went together as best as I could, then trimmed a few to match.

For this wreath I made 14 flower bundles of 7 per flower (1 in the center surrounded by 6); after choosing all the corks I hot glued them together. 

\




Put all 14 flowers in a circle, fitting them tightly against each other, then glue the flowers together finding the spot between the flowers that touch the most to make it as stable as possible. It'll be wonky until the next step but don't worry, we'll make it way more secure in a sec. To help keep an even circle shape I used a wire wreath as a guide (I didn't glue them to the wire tho - I set the flowers on top of the wire wreath as I glued them to each other, then removed the cork wreath from the wire wreath base). 



At this point the flowers won't hang in a nice circle - to help with that, turn the wreath over and glue popsicle sticks across the corks trying to hide the sticks as much as possible. After you lay down the first row all the way around go back and overlap with a few more sticks to make it even more secure. I tied a piece of twine around one popsicle stick and glued it in place on the back for a hanger.


To finish I added a few leaves and little fake succulents left over from the tiny macrame plant hanger project - decorate however you want! I did have a couple places where I could see the popsicle sticks and a bit of glue here and there so I made sure to cover up as many imperfections as I could with the little plants and leaves. 



 Can you see how some of the flowers are shorter and some taller? It really adds dimension.
Also, one flower bundle on the right side in the middle is a large center cork so I needed 7 corks to make the pedals for that one.


As always, I couldn't decide when to stop adding stuff! If this has too much going on for you just edit yourself better than I did LOL!! 

To make this wreath you'll need:
  • 99 corks, different sizes and colors (98 if you don't make one flower different like mine with the large center cork surrounded by 7 corks on the right side of the wreath)
  • hot glue 
  • popsicle sticks
  • twine for hanging
  • small artificial plants and leaves to decorate, optional


7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for providing the count of corks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome, I figured it would help to know how many you'll need to save up before starting the wreath!

      Delete
  2. Do you use the metal wreath for a template instead of a foundation for the wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used it as a guide to help with placing the cork flowers in a nice circle. I didn't attach the cork wreath to the metal circle.

      Delete
  3. Love this cork wreath idea. What size was the metal circle you used as a guide? Genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 12" wreath form as a guide. Thanks for asking!

      Delete