Friday, September 13, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: battle of the zucchini breads

For 'my sis is hungry' review this week I made the zucchini bread posted here, and lemon zucchini bread posted here (click for the recipes) - here's what she has to say about them:


AHH Bread.. how I love you.  Refraining here from channeling my inner Oprah and yelling I LOVE BREAD! Haha.. but seriously.  Bread.
So my sister made me not one but 2 loaves of bread.  One “regular” and one lemon.  Both Zucchini. 

The “regular” zucchini bread was pretty traditional I thought.  Great flavor, classic, moist just delicious.  She did tell me it had wheat or something in it to healthy it up – but maybe she just told me that so I would like it more and give it a higher rating? Possible. 
I ate the first half without butter- didn’t need it at all.  Second half I did put butter on just to see.. and that was great too but didn’t need it.

Second loaf was Lemon zucchini bread and that was good too.  For me though that didn’t taste like bread at all.  It really tasted more like a coffee cake (a lemon flavored coffee cake), not like bread at all.  Couldn’t really taste the zucchini at all either so if you were trying to get your kids to get some hidden veggies this would be the way to do it.  The yummy glaze on the top also made it clear it wasn’t healthy so I couldn’t even pretend to be.  I did love it though - but delicious as a cake, not as a bread.



*Jill here - she's right: the regular zucchini bread is very moist and doesn't 'need' butter (but really, butter makes everything better doesn't it?!) and I did not tell her it's healthier so she'd rate higher hahah, it really does have whole wheat flour and applesauce in it. The lemon bread has a much 'blander' flavor without the cinnamon and nutmeg - I might experiment with leaving them in next time. It is indeed an awful lot like bread-shaped cake, which is delicious if you want cake instead of bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment