Monday, September 23, 2019

Driftwood Art


We were walking in the campground one morning and saw a woman wielding a hot glue gun outside at her picnic table - a woman after my own heart! How could I see someone crafting while camping and not stop to ask? She showed me a gorgeous driftwood wreath she was working on, then generously took me inside her RV to show me some other projects. Before going inside she said "now don't judge, it's a little messy because my husband is gone for the week so I was able to spread all my stuff out - I just have to put it all away before he gets back" and then we walked in...and omg there's driftwood on every. single. surface. of her motorhome. Like everywhere! Some might see a mess and chaos, but no judging here - I was in awe and in heaven. Amazing!


She walks the beach every morning collecting pieces of driftwood, dries and bleaches it, stores in tubs (or all over her RV!) until she is ready to create her next piece. She had a bunch of completed pieces in her RV, what she showed me are just beautiful - she has hanging pieces, mobiles, wreathes, vases, crosses, all kinds of other art pieces like fish, anchors, Christmas trees...just about anything she can think of she has made - and they are gorgeous. So inspiring. Don't think I didn't have a moment of "oh man, I'm totally going to do this" but that would be weird and awkward in this small campground (once we leave here tho all bets are off hahaha, I would love to make driftwood art!).


I asked how she decides what to make, she said she just let's the wood and God speak to her - apparently she wasn't particularly crafty but after struggling with some health issues she started walking and collecting beach finds, and something guided her to start creating. She has turned her passion into a business and sells her art in local stores and at art fairs - she is incredibly thankful that she was guided and inspired to turn beach walks into art and that in turn has led to her being able to sell and create more. Cool, right?


To see more of her artwork click here for her facebook page, or here for the website.








9.23.16: painting pottery with Brooke
9.23.15: candy coated marshmallows

No comments:

Post a Comment