Monday, May 2, 2016

Dipped Candles

Saw this idea for these pretty dipped candles online and went right out to the dollar store to get some supplies to make them. 


I bought 4 small white pillar candles (2.5"x 2.8") and a box of cheap crayons (I have a thing about my giant crayon box, ask Brooke - no way I'm breaking up my pristine crayons to make this, HA!); the other supplies needed are a paper plate, plastic fork, and a clean empty aluminum can that is bigger around than the candle. I used a regular size can out of the recycle bin and it's 3" across. Note: I melted and colored one of the candles to dip the other 3 into (and had some melted wax leftover, see below). 


Put an inch or two of water in a saucepan, set the can in the pan of water, then put one of the candles (take off any packaging first) in the can. Turn the stove on low heat and wait for the candle to melt, stirring occasionally with the fork, it took about 15 minutes. Fish out the wick - I reused it in an empty candle jar that I've been saving and will fill with any left over melted wax after I'm done dipping. Then add a piece of broken crayon in whatever color you want, I used about an inch of aqua and an inch of green to get this color. Maybe it's because I was using cheap crayons but the color was not very saturated - and I had already put the crayons away in my craft room all the way downstairs and was too lazy to go get more to add to the melted wax to see about getting a deeper color!


Once the wax and crayons are melted, slowly dip one of the candles (remove the packaging and sticker from the bottom first) into the can as far down as you want the color. The first coat was very light, so I continued dipping a few times until I reached the color I wanted. Set them on a paper plate to dry. Best thing is the clean up, there really wasn't any! Toss the can, fork, and paper plate - yay, I love crafts that aren't hard to clean up hahah!

-here is the melted wax and crayon in the empty can in a pan of water:


-holding onto the wick, slowly dip a candle into the can making sure to stop before the color reaches the top of the candle (or can):


-this is two coats, continue dipping until you get the color you want:


-pour any leftover candle wax into an empty candleholder, I reused the wick from the melted candle:


click here to see where I found this idea and more instructions if you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment