Saturday, May 7, 2016

Road Trip - day 2

Today we drove from Kingman to Albuquerque, about 500 miles, it's an easy drive straight on I-40. This time though we left 40 for a bit and drove Route 66 so we could 'Take It Easy' in Winslow, AZ. Does that ring any bells?  We have made the cross country trip twice a year for awhile now, but have never stood on the corner in Winslow. I tried to sing the Eagles song but that's one of them that comes out in pieces -  standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, 7 women on my mind, or is it such a fine sight to see...


We had lunch at Bojo's Diner across the street - my expectations were pretty low and our waitress looked like she'd be grumpy, but my quesadilla was delicious and she was super nice . She wished us a blessed day when we left, and she didn't seem to mean it the way they say "bless your heart" in the South  (which I've heard usually means the opposite of bless your heart haha!). I'm going to recreate the quesadilla I had when we get home - tons of cheese and loads of mild green chilies in a crunchy tortilla - yum.


A couple hours from Albuquerque we started seeing signs for the upcoming best Indian trading post - Dave is usually reluctant to make shopping stops haha but I convinced him to stop this time. We pulled in to "Fort Courage" which was a big compound of forts, gift shop, cabins .... Figures I finally get D to stop and it's empty, abandoned, and falling down! There were so many highway signs advertising it, how about a sign saying it's been closed for a really long time?! Oh well, I always think I want to buy moccasins and never do...so it's probably for the best it was closed!




I missed it but Dave saw a cool thing while driving today - there was a rattle snake trying to cross the highway. D says it was on the side of the road and reared up at every car that went by with his mouth open like he was going to strike! Yikes - wow, sorry I missed that!









2 comments:

  1. You need to drive through Cameron off of Hwy-89. You would go crazy in there. You can get the moccasins for sure in there. And the food!!! Holy moly!! Soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put Cameron on the list! Thanks for the tip. Suggestions on where to eat?

      Delete