Friday, May 6, 2016

Road Trip - day 1

We have a very small rv (21') that is just big enough for two adults, a smallish dog, and a bird in a cage. Well it's big enough as long as everyone is on good behavior (ahem, Dave). It's name is The Turtle - of course it has a name, I name everything! We are road tripping from California to Michigan this week, and even tho I work on projects on the road (I crocheted a dish scrubby thing today, I'll show ya later), I thought it might be fun to share some road stories and pictures instead of my normal making stuff posts for a few days.
Sarge and Lucy in "the turtle"

Day 1 - short day of driving and not much to see. Stayed at a campground overnight in Kingman, AZ. Most exciting part of the day was making dinner - I love camping food! I learn more tips and tricks every trip - this time I boiled a box of pasta at home and divided it into 2 gallon ziplock bags - that saves lots of time on the road and it's the base for 2 meals. Our first dinner at the picnic table was this simple pasta with red sauce that I put in a saucepan and Dave warmed up on the grill while he was heating the (fully cooked) chicken, mozzarella, spinach sausages - have you tried them? So good, and not super unhealthy. I made a basic garden salad to round it out - cut up some of Lucy's peas, Sarges carrots, and threw in some celery that was left over from making the other pasta dish (tuna noodle salad)...it was basically seeing what's in the fridge!



Here's a couple other short cuts I've learned for camping meals:

- finely chop up hard boiled eggs and put in a disposable plastic bowl with lid (I use an empty cool whip tub), when ready to eat just stir in some mayo and mustard and season with salt and pepper. I like to eat it on saltines, or obviously just make a sandwich.
- pre grill boneless chicken breasts at home - you can then use them in sandwiches or whatever, or heat up for supper.
- break raw eggs into a container with tight fitting top, just shake them up when you want to make scrambled eggs. This saves trying to fit an egg carton in the little fridge, and more convenient to not have to deal with the shells.


No comments:

Post a Comment