Monday, May 9, 2016

Road Trip - day 4

Inside the Archway
I'm in the back of the rv right now in my "office" - aka the bed - writing down what our day is like today...the drive from Oklahoma City to St. Louis is beautiful but not many landmarks or interesting things to see from the highway. It's the prettiest day of driving ( it's green, hilly, dotted with cute farms and cattle) but also the most uneventful.

view from our booth
While on the Will Rogers Turnpike we stopped for lunch at a McDonald's located in what has to be one of the coolest places ever - it's a building that spans over the highway, and is basically all glass so while you are sitting at a booth you can see the tops of the vehicles on the highway going underneath you. It doesn't have a glass floor but sitting at the windows gives you the feeling that you are on a bridge watching the cars pass underneath. The building was renovated recently - it was known as the "glass house" before but now it's changed to the "Will Rogers Archway". It was hard to get a picture that gives the right perspective but I did take a couple to share with you.

Dave and the Turtle in front of the Archway







Then we passed thru Joplin, Missouri - they had that massive tornado in 2011; up until recently you could still see damage (trees and buildings down that weren't cleaned up yet) but it looks better now. I didn't notice last year when we came thru that the big hospital that was destroyed is now rebuilt and open, it seems like they did that pretty quickly.


Just paused writing to sing "Honey (I miss you)" from the 60's - yes super sappy but how can you not sing along to it? Oh now it's "Delilah" - have to sing that one too...D is in control of the radio so it's 50's and 60's when he isn't listening to talk radio and the news! "Why why why, Delilah..." is gonna be stuck in my head now.

I have always loved stopping at the huge wooden bowl factory store in Lebanon, MO - until they closed it after a fire. They are now located in the Shepherd Hills Factory Outlet (the largest dealer of case knives according to the sign) - In the old days the store was full of tons of wood things (not just bowls) but now they only have one row of just bowls, bummer. Check out these two photos - the sign says bowls are "Ozark made" and yet one of the bowls Dave picked up says "made in Holland, Michigan" haha! Still made in th USA which is nice - but Holland , Mi isn't exactly the Ozarks!

   
On a side note - when traveling in the rv it's usually unnecessary to wear much makeup or even clothes that match cuz no one sees me other than people at the gas station or McDonalds haha, but I have to look at myself so I still wear clothes that are clean and mascara :). I am learning to pare wayyyy down tho and wear everything more than once. I'm obsessed with all the tiny house shows right now and every time I open a cupboard and things come flying out and I grumble, D says "and you want to live in a tiny house". This morning I did a braid across the front of my hairline and sent a picture to my sissy because I'm really bad at braiding but today it worked. She wrote back it looked 
good and "too bad you wasted the best braid you've ever done and no one will ever see it". Oh well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment