Thursday, March 19, 2020

TBT: Orange-Cranberry Ice

Last week I shared a St. Patrick's Day luncheon menu from my new/old cookbook, click here for that post, and one of the suggestions for "lemon ice" made me want to make it (more like made me want to eat it haha). So loosely following the recipe I made this orange-cranberry flavored version.


The cookbook recipe for lemon ice:
1 quart water
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup lemon-juice

Make a sirup (their spelling) by boiling the water with the sugar for 5 minutes. Add the strained lemon-juice, cool and freeze.

My orange-cranberry lower calorie version:
2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup diet cranberry cocktail
1/4 cup orange juice
splash of lemon juice 

I followed the original instructions, and poured it into a plastic container with a lid and froze. The only problem is then how to serve it - it's a solid block! Scraping it with a fork and/or ice cream scoop made great shaved ice, when I tried to break off hunks I broke the container! So shaved ice it is ;)

Next time I'll pour it into small dixie cups or popsicle molds!

It tastes really good by the way - light and fresh, hits the sweet tooth spot.





After I broke the hole in the container I said "oops" which is Sarge's signal that food has probably landed on the floor and he comes running....


No comments:

Post a Comment