Sunday, March 15, 2020

Around the Campfire 🔥 (week 11)

Dear Campers ~

Here's a recap in case you missed anything at MMDC last week:

Posts ~

3/8:  ðŸ”¥week 10
3/9:   shamrock garland
3/10: hidden bank
3/11: scallops with chili lime cream sauce
3/12: TBT: St. Patrick's Day luncheon
3/13: shamrock shake
3/14: bloody mary rim salt


What's cooking ~ nope, still nothing interesting. But in preparation for St. Patricks, here is my delish no-fail easy crock pot corned beef recipe:


CROCK POT CORNED BEEF

4 lb. corned beef with seasoning
1 cup water
1 cup guinness (enough liquid to fill 1/2 way up or so)
2 bay leaves
1 t. extra cloves

cook on low x10 hours.

add carrots last 4-5 hours
add cabbage last 3 hours (if you're adding to the crock pot)
(Notes: I put some carrots in the crock pot, but also roast some in the oven. Sometimes I add potatoes but this year I think I'll make mashed potatoes instead. Also, I like to steam the cabbage in a big pot on the stovetop instead of adding to the crock pot.) 


Miscellaneous stuff keeping me busy ~

I was still sick all week, today is day 14 tho and if 'they'  -  whoever 'they' is - are right, my two weeks is up and I should be 100% any time now. I did spend less time reading books this week and more time sitting at the computer cleaning up photos...which means I found lots and lots of blog post ideas! 

Well, I did read a couple books - just not 6 like last week ~ 

  • 'Club Dead' ⭐️⭐️⭐️ another of the 'TrueBlood' books, because I'm a glutton for punishment and can't stop reading them. Even tho they aren't great...and that's on me.
  • The Dutch House' by Ann Patchett. ⭐️⭐️⭐️ not my favorite, lots of people talking about it tho and others love it. I found it long, and didn't love the end. I'm a big Ann Patchett fan tho, have you read Bel Canto? Try it if not and tell me what you think. 

I also emptied out our emergency kit (I've posted about it before, click here for more details - in CA it's recommended to keep an emergency kit ready just in case. So we have tools, gloves, flashlights, health stuff, pet stuff, food, etc. in a big locking trash can that is stored in the garage.), all of the food in the kit is past its expiration date so we are eating up what should be fine (canned goods) and ditched the rest (crackers, cereal, etc). Once it's not quite so crazy at the grocery store I will go replenish all the out-dated stuff. Note this is not an emergency kit/survival kit/doomsday kit for being quarantined in the house if it comes to that with this nasty coronavirus situation - it's more for a possible earthquake or other disaster that requires us needing tools, a few days supply of food, and maybe having to leave our house; it's everything in one container that we can grab and go if need be.

Having said that about emergencies - I'm very very thankful that I already had an 18 pack of t.p. on hand 'cause good luck finding any now with the hoarders grabbing it all! I still don't understand why getting the coronavirus means we need a years supply of toilet paper...and I know I'm not the only one wondering hahah.

Oh, and I wanted to show you how to make your own hand sanitizer gel but yeah, they took all the 91% alcohol and aloe vera gel too 🤦‍♀️. If you can find those two things it's 2/3rds rubbing alcohol to 1/3 aloe vera gel (for example - mix together 2/3 cup alcohol and 1/3 cup aloe vera gel, or 1 cup alcohol and 1/2 cup aloe vera gel. I know, I have mad math skills)

Stay healthy my friends! Don't freak about not finding hand sanitizer - just wash your hands, don't stand too close to sickies, and try to not touch your face (harder than it seems, right?!).

Sincerely ~


Jill
camp counselor who's had enough of being sick already!

No comments:

Post a Comment