Thursday, April 6, 2017

Emergency Kit

I honestly don't know how this emergency kit is going to help if we have an emergency...but you are "supposed" to have one and goodness knows I'm a rule follower so I made one for us. It's in a 32 gallon wheeled covered trash can and stored in the garage - so here's my question: if there is an emergency and we need the items in this container and I can get to this container that means that I am at my house during this said emergency and that means I have access to all of the supplies I have in my house - why do I need to have this giant emergency kit then? Do you see my point? I already have canned goods and candles and tools and all this stuff in my house - why do I need it in a container in the garage? That sounds like a little rant I know, but whatever. I'm told to have the emergency kit and so I have the emergency kit. I suppose if we had to leave the house we could wheel this trash can full of supplies away with us? I can barely lift it so it's going to need to be wheeled away or put in the car and driven out. Whew, anyway...

That was a super long intro wasn't it? Let's start over. I have a list of things that are recommended to have on hand for emergencies - I gathered up all of the supplies and layered them in a large covered trash can. See the list of what's in the kit below. I also have a list of what food and perishables are in the kit and once a year I change them out for fresher ones and use up the older ones if possible.


Starting with the heavy things put them in the bottom and stack your way from there. I bundled up different "categories", i.e., pet supplies in one small tote, tools in a small container, food in 2 plastic crates, etc. and at the top I have the 2 lists in clear page protectors so at a glance I know what is in there and what needs to be changed out once a year. Some of this isn't food we eat on a regular basis like pork and beans, canned green beans, and sausage stick - but they're long lasting good options that keep well to have if there really is an emergency.


Do you guys have an emergency kit? What's in yours? Note that ours contains wine and cookies - (1) we'll be the fun people at the emergency shelter and (2) they say you need some comfort items if you are displaced from your home - chocolate might melt so I have fig newtons for a little sweet treat just in case we need one.



2 comments:

  1. Ok being Mormon we have this down. You should also have at least $600.00 in cash. Small bills. ATMs may not be available. Small bills is easier to make change. Make sure that your important papers are laminated in case of water damage, and in one spot. I also have small bottles of alcohol and cigarettes for any kind of bartering. I know it sounds all weird but trust me it is a good thing. Buy things that you and Dave like to eat and that has a long shelf life. You need to rotate your food. Also, make sure you have a pair of good shoes in your car, and a small back pack as well with some things in, just in case you are not at home and need to get home, but have to walk. Never let your gas gauge get below half a tank. I could go on. Let me know if you want anymore info. It is always good to be prepared. You are on the right path. Good for you. Don't forget dog food for Sarge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips that I didn't think about! I will add more cash (that makes sense) and I don't have any papers saved like that. I used to carry a small emergency backpack in the car but got out of the habit, I will add that and shoes to my car. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete