Saturday, April 22, 2017

Cork Wall

Let's see...after all of the cork projects I've made you'd think I would be running out, right? Uh yeah, no. This cork wall took about 250 of them and I still have like 5 big bags left!! Yikes ;)

This is pretty easy to do, just time and hot glue consuming. Make sure you have LOTS of glue sticks on hand to do this. I measured the space I wanted to fill with corks and cut out 2 pieces of cardboard that measure half the length plus an inch or so - I didn't have one big piece of cardboard long enough, if you do then just do it in one piece if you want. You want to cut the cardboard just a bit bigger so when you're done there is a little excess cardboard around the edges to help wedge it into place.

In order to keep the rows straight I made some lines on the cardboard as a guide. Not all corks are the same length and width so before I glued down a row I made sure they were all the same size - lay them out on the board to make sure they will be even and that you have enough to cover top to bottom.



When glueing the corks to both boards I left a little space on one end so the 2 boards would fit together in the middle and sort of interlock (see the picture for example).


For my board I used 15 corks for the horizontal rows and 7 for the vertical - since where I put the finished cork wall is in a big cubby hole I didn't have to have the top edge completely straight which helped a lot, you can't see the top of the board once it's in place. Once you've covered the board push it into place - if you made it the right size it will hold itself in, I didn't need to anchor it at all. 


1 comment: