Friday, September 25, 2020

Broccoli Casserole


I've had lots of broccoli casseroles in my day, and they're pretty much all the same; so when Cathy made this one I figured I'd like it as much as any other version but I was wrong - pretty sure this one is the best I've ever had so naturally I had to have the recipe. 'Cuz when someone asks me to bring a veggie side in the future I have to be able to bring this dish and amaze everyone. Well, at least amaze everyone who would be amazed at broccoli casserole that is ;) 

                    

                    

I didn't ask what the trick is to making this dish so good and she didn't volunteer it - so when I got the recipe and saw the magic ingredient I could only think "of course! makes perfect sense now", because what isn't a better idea than using stuffing as casserole topping?! I've never heard of it and it's genius.


  • 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 T. flour
  • 1/2 cup sour cream 
  • 1/4 cup grated carrots
  • 1 T. grated onion 
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/8 t. pepper
  • 3/4 cup herbed stuffing mix
  • 2 T. melted butter
Remove outer broccoli leaves and cut into 1" pieces. Cook stalks 5-6 minutes in salted water; add floretes and cook 5 minutes more. Blend soup and flour, then add sour cream, carrots, onion, salt and pepper; stir into broccoli. Put in a 2-quart casserole dish. Combine stuffing mix and melted butter, sprinkle on top of broccoli mixture. Bake at 350' for 30-35 minutes, when middle bubbles it's done. 

1 comment: