Saturday, November 28, 2020

Cast Iron Blackened Salmon

Here's the other cast iron recipe that has become a new staple in my house - blackened salmon. If you need a break from the turkey leftovers this might be the perfect lighter meal hahahah - I cannot eat more stuffing. I'm stuffed with stuffing. Fish seems like a much needed break! 

I learned the method from my sister (gasp, yes that sister, the self-proclaimed non-cook!), and it's simple:

1. Season the salmon filets or pieces with whatever blackening or spices you like - she does a mixture of 2 spice blends that I can't remember, I didn't pay attention because she likes her blackened fish spicier than I do, I season ours with my favorite Paul Prudhomme's salmon seasoning blend. 


2. Heat the cast iron skillet dry over medium heat for a couple minutes, then add a small amount of canola oil and let it heat over medium heat until a droplet of water sizzles. Add the salmon and cook 6 minutes per side, or until it's done to your liking. (I do mine longer, I know it's 'wrong' but I like my salmon cooked well-done). That's it! Easy-peasy, crunchy exterior, quick, and (depending how much oil you use) it's healthy! 




We like to serve it with parmesan couscous and roasted broccoli - yum. This is so good!! 

1 comment: