Thursday, December 28, 2023

Meatball Chili

I saw this recipe  here at bhg for Southwest Meatball Chili and wondered why I never thought to add meatballs to chili in place of ground or diced meat (I usually use diced turkey or leftover pork roast for my go-to West Coast Chili recipe). Great idea - I had 1/2 a bag of cooked turkey meatballs in the freezer and figured I'd give it a try. It's so good, a new favorite way to make chili and for sure I'll be making this again. 

I changed the original recipe so it's not exactly 'Southwest' now, click the above link if you want to make it 'Southwestern', here's how I made my version:

  • 1 pound fully cooked frozen turkey meatballs
  • 2 cans chili beans
  • 1 (28oz) can tomato puree
  • 1 (14.5) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 2 T. tomato paste
  • 2 t. chili powder
  • 2 t. coriander
  • 1/2 t. cumin
  • 1/2 t. red chili flakes
  • salt to taste
Combine all ingredients, check the seasonings and adjust if needed. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes or until the meatballs are heated thru. 

Note: I like to make chili in the morning and then reheat it for dinner so all the flavors have time to meld together. We had this over white rice, topped with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Click here for a funny chili story :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment