Friday, July 19, 2024

My Niece (and Sister too!) is Hungry: Mexican Meatloaf Pie

This recipe is in my folder of things to try, I ripped it out of a magazine and of course have no idea which one! Sorry I can't give its creator credit. I thought I was just making it for my sis (I haven't done a 'My Sis is Hungry' in a long time!) and for Mickey's family thinking Dave wouldn't like it - but I had enough ingredients to make 3 pans so we had it for dinner as well (and he did like it so I was wrong haha). 

Here's Mickey's review:


This is my first, and hopefully not last, time experiencing the “my sister is hungry” series… though technically I would be niece… but nonetheless, we got to try Mexican meatloaf. Personally, I LOVED it. I added a little bit of sour cream and did not add the crunchy toppings (chips or Fritos). It wasn’t greasy like normal meatloaf, probably due to the turkey instead of ground beef, so it just overall felt much healthier but just as filling. Overall, I highly recommended. My husbands review is he would have preferred ground beef over the “froo froo” turkey (whatever that means!) He also said he loved his with chips and Fritos for that extra crunch, and overall it had a lot of really great flavor. The last critic in our house, may be the pickiest of all… our ten month old baby absolutely devoured hers both for dinner and for leftover the next day. Judging from the limited amount that she fed to our dog, I would say it was a hit! We would absolutely eat it again!  

And here's what my sister has to say:

So.. let me start with saying that I LOVE Meatloaf.  My sister asked if she could make it with turkey and I LOVE when anything is being made “healthier” so of course I was all for that. (even if I would never say no to anything she wants to make with ALMOST any ingredients. Haha).  

Even though this wasn’t actually meatloaf in the traditional sense It tasted exactly like I thought it would with this name.  I loved that it had everything in one dish. (similar to a casserole).  It had the meat, corn etc. all in one.  Love that.  it had pretty decent flavor but still felt to me like it needed some kind of sauce on it.  The husband chopped his up and poured Ortega on it.  that was just too mushy for me.  I ate mine more in a lump- but did add sour cream on it.  that was delish.  My sister did say put chips/fritos on the top- I added that and it was fine.  Didn’t need the chips so I’d rather spare the calories.

 

All in all I liked this one.  Not giving the highest marks but if its easy (haven’t looked at the recipe yet) then I would make it again.





DEEP-DISH MEXICAN MEAT LOAF PIE

makes 6 servings

  • 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips or corn chips
  • 1 envelope (1 oz.) onion soup mix
  • 3/4 cup bottled taco sauce
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (8.8 oz) punch cooked Spanish-style rice
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can golden hominy, rinsed and draineed
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
  • 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (4 oz.)
  • 1/2 cup fresh anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • tortilla or corn chips and/or fresh cilantro for serving, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Combine beef, crushed chips, soup mix, 1/2 cup of the taco sauce, 1 egg, and black pepper. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 10" deep-dish pie plate.

2. Heat rice according to package directions. In a large bowl combine rice, hominy, tomatoes, cheese, anaheim pepper, cilantro, remaining 1/4 cup taco sauce, and remaining egg. Spoon mixture into meat shell. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil.

3. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more. Let cool 15 minutes. Top with additional chips and/or cilantro if desired. Cut into wedges.

My Notes:
  • I substituted turkey for the beef
  • I used both tortilla chips and corn chips because I couldn't decide which would be better haha.
  • I used mild taco sauce for ours and Mickey's, medium for Jens.
  • couldn't find hominy so substituted with corn
  • I used shredded Mexican blend cheese instead of pepper jack
  • omitted the anaheim pepper
Funny - I also topped mine with sour cream feeling like it needed a little sauce or dip. We really liked this one and I would make it again, I'll try ground beef next time and update this post if there's much difference. 

7.19.23: MSIH: chicken cobbler


No comments:

Post a Comment