Wednesday, July 19, 2023

My Sis is Hungry: Chicken Cobbler

I usually like to make my sister dishes to review that I don't want to make for Dave and I - that didn't come out exactly right, I'm not making her food I don't want to eat hahah, I just mean for one reason or another we probably won't eat it but I know she'll like. For instance, I don't like spicy food and she does, and Dave doesn't like onions and peppers which rules out a lot of recipes! Anyway, back to the point. I bought the ingredients for this dish to make for my sis but it didn't work for her to accept my food when I needed to make it (LOL, the nerve!), so I made it for Dave and I first. He liked it more than I did, especially the bread topping, I thought it was fine but a little nothing (I omitted the onion for ours). So when I later made it for my sissy I tried to doctor it a little by adding salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, 1 onion, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Here's what she had to say:


Chicken Cobbler?  Really?  I'm a fan of all forms of cobbler but wasn't sure what to expect with that title. 
So this one was very interesting.  Doesn't fall under a specific category- was interesting. Not soup, more of a casserole. Pieces of chicken with mushrooms (yum) and bread pieces on the top.  I do indeed love me some bread. 
So the first time we took it out too soon.  I did not listen to my sisters advice for cooking.  She said leave in until brown- but watch it so it doesnt get too brown.  That then meant we took it out too soon.  That made the bread pieces not super cooked- which I actually kind of liked since then I could taste the bread (and I dont like croutons) haha. We ate half that way while we put it back in to continue cooking.  When the bread on top was cooked it still wasnt like croutons but not gonna lie when I say I think I preferred it undercooked (again, because I love bread). 

Husband really likes mushrooms so that was his favorite part.  The broth was good- not exciting but good.  Not a ton of flavor but good. For me to decide if I was going to make this one again I would need to see the recipe because it seemed like too much work.  If it was easy and remotely healthy I would make it again. Undercooked of course. LOL. 

CHICKEN COBBLER CASSEROLE
  • 6 T. butter, divided
  • 4 cups cubed rolls (sourdough or white bread)
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 (8 oz) package sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 can (10 3/4oz) cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup drained and chopped jarred roasted red peppers
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Instructions:

1. Melt 4 Tablespoons of the butter and toss in a large bowl with cubed bread, parmesan cheese, and parsley. Set aside.

2. Saute onions and mushrooms in remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned.

3. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in buttermilk, mushroom soup, roasted red peppers, and chicken. Stir constantly for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon mixture into a greased 9" baking dish or 2 quart casserole dish. Top evenly with the bread mixture.

4. Bake at 400' for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. 

Jill here ~ couple notes: wasn't sure what the recipe meant by 'rolls' so I bought regular white dinner rolls like I would serve with spaghetti, 4 cups equaled 5 rolls. 2 onions seems like a lot of onion so I went with 1. If you don't have or want to buy buttermilk you can add a teaspoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk and let it stand for a few minutes (don't worry, it will curdle and it's supposed to). Watch while it's baking, I didn't pay attention and at the 25 minute mark the rolls were almost too brown. 





recipe found here 



No comments:

Post a Comment