Friday, March 30, 2018

Shaving Cream Dyed Easter Eggs


Saw this idea in an email from BH&G and I immediately made them - actually I knew I needed to make them right when I saw the idea because I had just thrown out 2 hard boiled eggs that were possibly too old to eat (and I was too lazy to carry them to the garbage disposal...the trash is closer to the fridge!) - and if this trick didn't work I didn't want to waste good eggs! Well, it works. And they are beautiful. And this is simple. And it's a good kid craft (with some rubber gloves!). And that's a lot of sentences that start with "and". Here's how to make them:

Supplies:

  • cooled hard boiled eggs
  • vinegar
  • shaving cream 
  • liquid food coloring
  • skewer
  • pan to put the shaving cream in, and a baking sheet (or plate) for drying. 
  • rubber gloves
  • paper towel to dry them on
Directions:

-Soak the cooled hard boiled eggs in vinegar for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
-Spray shaving cream about 1 inch thick into a pan. I used a tin pie plate, if you're doing quite a few eggs I'd use a sheet pan.
-Using whatever colors you want (I did blue and green) squeeze drops of food coloring over the shaving cream. Run the skewer back and forth thru the shaving cream to gently blend the colors together like a mosaic.

-Wearing gloves, put an egg into the colored shaving cream and roll it around until it's coated. Don't wipe the excess shaving cream off, just set the egg on a paper towel lined baking sheet or a plate for at least 20 minutes until they are dry.


-Put the egg into a cup of water to remove the excess shaving cream, then set them down on paper towel until completely air dried - don't wipe them or the color might come off.








I found the instructions online at Better Homes and Gardens.

PS: the eggs aren't edible after you do this whole vinegar/shaving cream treatment...if you want them to be edible they have a whipped cream version - but I would SO rather waste eggs with the shaving cream method than waste homemade whipped cream (which is one of my all time most favorite things!)... check out the whipped cream directions on the bhg.com site if you are interested....

two years ago: blueberry crumb cake/muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment