Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Roasted Eggplant Parmesan

Ok, Ok, I know I said I wasn't making Dave eggplant parmesan because I don't like it (click here for that rambling post hahah); but then I saw this in Ina Garten's cookbook "cook like a pro" and I caved - because check out how good this looks!!! I like that the eggplant is roasted, and the addition of goat cheese intrigued me. I'm lucky that D doesn't read this blog so he doesn't know that I didn't want to make it when he asked for it, but as soon as Ina said it's good I made it ;)


serves 6

2 1/2 pounds eggplant, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick
3/4 cup good olive oil
1 T. dried oregano
kosher salt and black pepper
1 (24oz) jar marinara sauce, such as Rao's
1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
8 oz garlic and herb goat cheese, such as Montachet
1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese

for the topping:
1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs from a country loaf
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley leaves
1/4 cup good olive oil

Preheat oven to 400' and arrange three racks evenly spaced.

Lay the eggplant in one layer on three sheet pans and brush both sides with olive oil, using all the oil. Sprinkle with the oregano, crushing it lightly in your hands, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 T. salt and 1 1/2 t. pepper. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the slices and rotate the pans in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, until tender. Leave the one at 400'.

In a 14x10x2 inch ceramic baking dish, spread a third of the marinara sauce. Arrange a third of the eggplant on top in one layer. Scarter a third of the basil, a third of the mozzarella, a third of the goat cheese, and a third of the parmesan on top. Repeat twice, starting with the marinara and ending with the parmesan, making sure each layer is evenly distributed.

For the topping, place the bread crumbs, garlic, and basil in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 t. salt and pulse to moisten the crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the dish.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.

my notes: I omitted the fresh basil; used homemade spaghetti sauce I had in the freezer; and instead of fresh bread crumbs I substituted panko.







from barefoot contessa, cook like a pro 2018

4.21.19: 🔥
4.21.18: boozy cherries
4.21.17: crayon canvas by Brooke
4.21.16: parrot portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment